Monday, May 9, 2016

The RT16 Booklovers Convention in Las Vegas was a blast!

This is not my first RT Booklovers Convention, far from it, but this event never ceases to amaze me. As an author, it's uncanny to meet so many readers who recognize you and have read your books. Since I write in mixed niche genres, medieval fantasy romance and science fiction romance, I never expect a large crowd. Yet, somehow, it seems my readers love to go to RT every year... and they were all there.
The night events especially Viva la Historical and Cirque du Punk had incredible costumes, food, and circus entertainment. There were many pictures taken, but I don't want to use them without permission.

The Intergalactic Bar & Grille reader event with NYT best-selling author Linnea Sinclair (the queen of sci-fi romance) and a dozen mid-list authors like me, rocked the convention. We played games and cheered until our throats were raw. I died my hair purple for the event. You cannot really tell from the pictures, because of the lighting, but it is purple.

Jenifer Raniery (left) Book cover designer for DBP - Vijaya Schartz, author - Gail Delaney, publisher.
I also had breakfast with one of my publishers, Desert Breeze Publishing, from California, and their attending authors. We only meet at these kinds of events, so had to take a group picture. 
 
The giant book signing was incredible, and every single one of these 700+ participating authors sold several books that day. Here is my signing table towards the end. As you can see, very few books left. I gave out hundreds of postcards and promoted my April release (the small poster of Damsel of the Hawk on the table). And yes, these are mini peanut Reeses dark chocolates on the table.
These events are a big  expense of money, time and energy but they are certainly worth it if you can afford them. I do not attend every year, I usually skip a year or two, so no RT for me next year (in Dallas). This time it was at a driving distance from Arizona. Maybe sometime soon they'll have it in Phoenix. That would be cool.

In the meantime, happy reading. For me, it's back to the computer to start my next novel in the Curse of the Lost Isle series.

Vijaya Schartz
Blasters, Swords, Romance with a Kick
http://www.vijayaschartz.com

No comments: