Thursday, November 24, 2011

Anne McCaffrey, the Grande Dame of the Dragons of Pern, left us at 85

I will always remember the wonder of reading my first, worn, library copy of the first book in the Dragons of Pern series.  And I believe I read all of Anne McCaffrey's books I could get my hands on. She wrote over a hundred of them. I even read her less known sci-fi stories, like the Crystal Singer. I loved them all, but the dragons stuck in my mind.


Anne is one of the unique authors who inspired me to write and create fantastic worlds of my own.  Born in the US in 1926, she died on the other side of the pond, shortly after a stroke. I'm sure she is now flying on the backs of her magnificent dragons, and enjoying the company of dragon riders.

May you repose in peace, Anne. You gave us countless hours of reading pleasure, you transported us to a world where adventure and passions rule and justice always prevails. We love you for enriching our lives and our intellects.

I, for one, will never forget.

Vijaya Schartz

1 comment:

Lynette Endicott said...

My first love in reading has always been science fiction/fantasy and McCaffrey certainly left her mark on many of us. I think I have read all of her books - and I have read several of yours, and have more on my "soon" list. You have a wonderful way of capturing a world, the animals, characters and sometimes I thought I was hearing an echo of McCaffrey's influence in your work.