Monday, May 4, 2009

From guns to kittens

Are guns and kittens incompatible? Obviously not. I have both weapons and cats in all of my stories, and I now have two cats in my home.

Meet Spunky, a well deserved name for a fearless little ball of fur. He is taking the household by storm, to the hissy fit of my two-year old female cat, Jasmine. She is coming around, however, after two days and started playing along with him, but not with him yet. When he jumped at her in friendly play, she swatted him like a fly.

But I'm seeing some progress. It should take about a week for her to get used to the little upstart spreading his smell all over her house.

I originally got this kitten to be her companion when I am away for days at conferences and on vacations. They will likely be the best of friends very soon, but for now she is watching closely, but I can't tell if she is interested in his cute little antics, or if she thinks I brought her dinner. So, I'm watching, too.

Here is a picture of Jasmine, the reluctant adoptive mother.

Jasmine

Any comment or advice on how to handle this cat situation is welcome.
Have a great day.

Vijaya Schartz
Award-winning Sci-Fi, Girls with Guns, Romance with a Kick
http://www.vijayaschartz.com

5 comments:

Linda LaRoque said...

They are precious, but alas, I don't have any advice for you. Not really a cat person, prefer dogs, but I did fall in love with my mothers minx cat. Actually, I'm a sap for any animal.

Linda
www.lindalaroque.com

Joy Collins said...

Just give them time. I've been through this several times with various cats and they always wind up friends.

Beth Trissel said...

I love cats and yours are darling!
I don't know of any writers who dislike cats. Now that you mention it. I'm also a dog lover, and very fond of birds, ducklings...
Enjoyed your post.

Vijaya Schartz said...

Thanks for the encouraging comments. I guess, time is the greatest healer. Wait and see...

Maryannwrites said...

Love your cats. The kitten is just precious, as all kittens, puppies and babies are. :-)

I know I'm coming in late with the comment, but in time the cats should adapt. Ours always have with only one exception and that was introducing a new female adult cat into a household with another female adult. Both of them hated each other from the start, and we ended up giving new kitty to our son. She had been dumped out here, like so many others, and we thought we could add her to our brood, but she wanted to live in a one-cat home.